Sunday, December 21, 2008

Reed's birthday party


Reed had his first birthday party over the weekend.  He has always wanted one, but we were never really sure when to have it since his birthday is Christmas Eve.  
We started planning his party a couple of weeks ago and he really wanted to have a sledding party.  Since we live across the street from the sledding hill we agreed that would be easy and a lot of fun.  I had all the invitations made out and ready to go.  Then we had that wonderful weekend of 40-50 degree weather and all the snow melted again.  Ok, so now what? Do I still send out the invites and hope that we have snow? I didn't want to take any chances so we changed what we were doing.  Reed now wanted to go up to the Y and play basketball in the gym.  Perfect! Jay will love playing bball with all the boys and they can run around then come back to our house for pizza, ice cream and cake.  I kept calling the Y to double check that the gym would be open, and we were still set.  Well we started to get a ton of snow again, so we decided that we would do both sledding and basketball.
Reed was pumped his two favorite things to do in the winter.  So Saturday morning we went to Reed's basketball game and after the game I double checked the schedule to make sure that the gym would still be open when we came later that afternoon.  I am glad that I did!  Apparently some traveling team was coming into town and needed the gym so it was no longer open.  OK so now what?  I called all of the parents and just had them bring the kids to our house and we would just wing it.  The boys played Wii for about an hour and had a blast!  


We then did pizza, cake and ice cream.  They were then off to the hill. When their parents arrived to pick the boys up they had to practically drag them off the hill.  The weather was perfect, it was in the 20's and snowing. I am hoping that they all had a really good time even though we couldn't do all of what we planned.  I think next time I am just going to go with my original plans and just hope that it works!

We are also very proud of Reed, because he chose to not have the kids bring presents, but instead bring hats and mittens to donate.  We took all the hats and mittens that we got to the Salvation Army this afternoon and is just warmed my heart to know that Reed was willing to do that!  Great job buddy!

Brett even went outside for a little bit, and he loved it!

1 comment:

Sharp Family said...

Wow, that is very impressive that Reed would forgo presents to donate winter items! What a great thing to do, I hope my kids grow up to make those kinds of choices!